Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Literary Connections

My good friend and fellow aquatic hauntee, George Jacox, posted earlier today about books, specifically fly-fishing books he liked.  He elaborated a bit on his main thesis.  George's post drew a rather agreeable comment from our common friend, William (Bill) Schudlich.  Bill's comments got me to thinking.  First off I just had to make this comment:

----

Shoot, y'all just named half my 'special selections' library'.

As well as the Maclean books - I re-read each of Middelton's book's mentioned by Sir Willie of Schudville .. and I do hope one day to get a copy of Rivers of Memory.  I so want to read this book! And - if I my ship stops sinking - MAYBE - a copy of, The Starlight Creek Angling Society! I would love to own this book. But I would just like to actually see, hold and read one!

I also totally agree that Traver (real name: John Voelker) books and stories are must reads; with Trout Madness and Trout Magic list high. Voelker was a personal friend of my good friend and colleague from the Traverse City , MI area, Dave Richey. When you speak with a person who actually had, on-the-water/in-the-woods, intimate knowledge of a legend like Voelker, you get a sense of just how much one can miss by not being in the same arena, venue or age. CARPE DIEM!

---

Then I got to thinking about other books - besides my shared enjoyment of those mentioned by George and Bill.  I started to go over some other books I've read - and re-read - over the past few years.  So a list began to form.  But not just a list.  What began to form was a much deeper meaning than just reading good books.  There was - and remains - an intimate relationship with the books I read, the people I know, icons I wish to meet, passions I love to pursue.

Especially any of the above fortunate enough to also coincide with just about any value on the subject of FLY FISHING.

       It's not merely about literary interest ... it's vastly more important than that!!

Here's my addition to the conversation:

1_ Anything by Thomas McGuane .. but especially The Longest Silence. This is a book title one should read, ponder and practice.

2_ Paul Quinnett's books: Pavlov's Trout (the quintessential book on Outdoor Ethics!); Darwin's Bass and Fishing Lessons (should be requisite for anyone taking to the water!  Paul is a clinical psychologist and developer of the QPR (Question, Persuade & Refer), Gatekeeper Training for Suicide Prevention program. Paul knows a thing or two about the benefits of fly-fishing!

3_ M.R. Montgomery's, Many Rivers to Cross .. wonderfully imaginative - yet at times, heart rending - a culinary delight of Western fishing for it's vanishing native lands, vistas, ecosystems and it's most desirable, cold-water citizens.

4_ Anything by David James Duncan .. most notably for it's popularity - The River Why.  But, if you've not read his book, My Story as Told By Water - you have not found the reason for WHY, Maclean could write, "I am haunted by waters." Read it and you, too, will find your explanation.

5_ Every word written by John Gierach! PERIOD.  The guy is a veritable Pied Piper of Fly Fishing Story. There are few writers - from any genre - whom I can read and re-read their work - on any page, at any time - for any length of time ... and enjoy it every time.  This magical aura surrounding Gierach's writing never ceases to amaze me.  He's constant in his ability to addict the reader.

6_ And - not because this book is a piece of literary wonder, but because it keeps me in remembrance of a fine man, whom I miss very much: Tight Lines, Bright Water Water-  by Dave Engerbretson. It's a good read about a man who loved, life and enjoyed helping others do the same: in all aspects possible in the grand outdoors: freshly mowed backyard or deep wilderness. There are still times- when I find it hard to believe I cannot just email or call this jolly fellow - my good friend - of such incredible aquatic pursuance knowledge. So, I annually re-read this book... and regularly scan it for tidbits of remembrance.  It's a good habit that I shall continue to nurture.

If there's a special outdoors/fishing/fly-fishing/hunting or whatever person, who has impacted your life; who is no longer living: if they've written a book - or if only a card, letter or left you with a recording or a simple phone message: revisit it:  often. Recall their 'voice'; that energy that made them special in your life; to your life.  Keep their flame alive for you.  Then, Pass It On, to light the way for others.  Pass On... their remembrance to others, so they too, can get to know your special people.  Everyone needs to get to know special people. This is a priceless gift to the future.
Carpe Diem ! Seize every moment, every minute of every day - do so with gusto - and renew the definition of:

WHY? ...

"...fly-fishing is such a magical place, with magical moments, made more wonderful, daily... by the magical relationships... between, man, water, fish, feather and fur."  - Sam Stovepipe, Sage of Gar Island

Keep the passion going.  Read. Remember. Restore.


My Life As Told By Water, by David James Duncan

The River Why, by David James Duncan

Trout Bum, by John Geirach

Pavolov's Trout, by Paul Quinnett

Darwin's Bass, by Paul Quinnett

Fishing Lessons, by Paul Quinnett

The Longest Silence, by Thomas McGuane

Many Rivers To Cross, by M. R. Montgomery

Tight Lines, Bright Waters, by Dave Engerbretson

No comments: